Skip to main content

List of Uttoxeter Canal pages, with the most recently updated shown first.

Alton Tunnel

The railway tunnel was last used by trains in January 1965, after which the line was closed. The station buildings are Grade II listed, and are now available as a holiday let through the Landmark Trust.

This tunnel replaces a much smaller canal tunnel which opened in 1809 and closed in 1849

The canal tunnel had a slightly different alignment to the railway tunnel, though was of a similar length. This can be seen in the historic maps of the canal, and the railway company planning map which was drawn onto an earlier canal map.


Bridge 70

This is the only complete original bridge on the Uttoxeter Canal

  • The bridge was built around 1810
  • Volunteers restored the bridge, which was at risk of collapse, between 2012 and 2016. It is now owned by Caldon & Uttoxeter Canals Trust
  • The wooden rubbing post attached to the bridge is original and was put there to protect the bridge from damage caused by the towing ropes of horse-drawn narrow boats
  • It was last used by canal boats in January 1849

Milepost 30

The final milepost on the Uttoxeter Canal has been situated a short distance from the original terminus, on an island in Park Place. The warehouse and canal manager's house at the wharf survived until they were demolished to make way for a new housing development in 2005.

This area still shows on maps as "The Wharf" more than 170 years after the canal was closed.

Milepost 29

This milepost is another which has been slightly relocated as the line of the canal, which whilst visible is not publicly accessible in the exact location of the original.

Milepost 28

Milepost 28 is located in an area where the original canal line can no longer be seen. It would originally have been sited in the field to the north around 100m from the new position, just off Creighton Lane. The line of the canal can distinctly be seen in aerial photographs and from indentations in the ground.

Milepost 27

This milepost has been relocated from the site of the original to put it on a public footpath, form where the original location may be established. The original line of the canal in this area was lost when the railway line opened and when this in turn closed the land was returned to farming.

Subscribe to Uttoxeter