In 1797, the Trent & Mersey Canal Company placed a bill before Parliament to extend the Caldon Canal from Froghall to Uttoxeter. This was to thwart the rival Commercial Canal scheme, whose route would also have taken in Uttoxeter, and which would have had serious repercussions on the finances of the Trent & Mersey Co. The Commercial Canal proposals were rejected by Parliament in favour of the Trent & Mersey's proposed extension of the Caldon Canal.
The Uttoxeter Canal was built in 1811 and ran for 13 miles from a junction with the Caldon Canal at Froghall down the Churnet Valley via Oakamoor, Alton, Denstone and Rocester to a terminus in Uttoxeter.
Unfortunately use of the new waterway was short lived and by 1850 it had closed, with some line of the canal being reused by the North Staffordshire Railway. The railway in turn later closed and much of the route reverted to farm land or was reinvented as public footpaths.