About the Trust
By the late 1950's traffic had virtually ceased on the Caldon Canal and in 1960 a closure notice was displayed at Etruria. Not wishing to see the canal closed, a number of enthusiasts got together and in 1963 the Caldon Committee (forerunner to the Caldon Canal Society, later the Caldon & Uttoxeter Canals Trust) was inaugurated with a view to saving the Canal.
The Caldon Canal was classed as a remainder waterway in 1968. This meant that British Waterways were not bound to maintain the canal to a navigable standard but it would not be closed. Eventually an agreement was reached between Stafford County Council, Stoke on Trent City Council and British Waterways Board to restore the canal.
Thus in 1974 the Caldon Canal was reopened at a cost of £100,000. Following the reopening of the Canal in 1974, the Caldon Society's aim was to have the Caldon upgraded to cruising status and this was finally achieved in 1983.